Re: shellcommands not executing - lock problem?

From: Eric Sorenson
Subject: Re: shellcommands not executing - lock problem?
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:10:25 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Chip Seraphine wrote:

> Having been bitten by this myself, I was wondering how important everybody
> thinks the human-readable lockfile is.  I was thinking perhaps we could use
> a hash or checksum or whatever of the command string for the lockfile name,
> and the populate the file with some informative/human-readable/debuggy
> stuff (e.g. the line number and contents of the command)....?

This would be lots better; this problem has come up several times and
is always a frustrating stumper. 50 characters is clearly not long enough
for uniqueness when variable expansion is taken into account. Doubling
it would help somewhat but it would just be postponing the problem. Note
this is not just true for shellcommands: but copy: also

--

    Eric Sorenson - EXPLOSIVE Networking - http://explosive.net