Re: (1)editfiles not working as desired (2) How to define your own class

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: (1)editfiles not working as desired (2) How to define your own classes
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:01:12 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:

> I think you need to review your threshold for sending every query
> you have to the help list. There is a perfectly good manual that
> you can study, and the frequency of your messages tells me that
> you are not giving these matters any thought yourself, just dumping
> every little obstacle onto the list.
>
> You declare that editfiles does not work on AIX but that is silly.
> The problems you describe do not make sense. I do not believe that
> you have correctly analyzed the situation. I suspect that the
> reason you are not seeing an update is due to a non-expired lock,
> nothing to do with editfiles. Also, why are you putting variable
> definitions in cfagent.conf and editfiles stanzas into update.conf
> (which gets run before cfagent.conf) ?
>
> Please try to give the online help at cfengine.org the attention it
> deserves.

        Just an additional note for Harish; if you want help, you can get
better help by asking "Smart Questions".  "Smart Questions" is a technical
term, and is explained in:

        You should go to the link above, and scroll down until you find
the heading which says "Introduction".  Read from there to the end of the
document.  Yes, all of it.  I've read it all, even though I already knew
most of it, I got some good tips from it.

        If you follow the directions there, you will eventually be at the
point where people find your questions inherently interesting, and they
will be much more likely to answer them if that is the case.

        Thanks,

--
Tim Nelson
Systems Administrator