Re: include/import/ReadFile usage

From: Brendan Strejcek
Subject: Re: include/import/ReadFile usage
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:39:42 -0600

Lev Lvovsky wrote:

> So after solving the issue of lists and cfservd, I'm looking for a
> way to make the lists in separate files, and then include them in the
> cfservd.conf.

I confess to not having read your previous posts closely, so maybe this
does not address your problem at all, but...

> per my understanding of "import", it's a section outside of "control",
> therefore I can't "import" a file which defines lists within it into
> the control section.

I think of import more as merging or interleaving the content of
multiple files, while preserving some important ordering.

# begin cfagent.conf
import: lists
control:

    actionsequence = ( shellcommands )
    list_main = ( "one two three" )

shellcommands:

    "/bin/echo ${list_main}"
    "/bin/echo ${list_included}"
# end cfagent.conf

# begin list
control: list_included = ( "foo bar baz" )
# end list

$ cfagent -qK
cfengine:morse:/bin/echo one t: one two three
cfengine:morse:/bin/echo foo b: foo bar baz

Just ignore me if I'm off base.

> If possible, could someone give me an idea of the format of the file
> which ReadFile() reads, as all of the formats I've tried caused parse
> errors.

There is also var = ( ExecResult(/bin/cat filename) )

Interestingly, with the following file:

$ cat /tmp/colors
red yellow green
purple orange blue

and the following additions to the cfagent.conf control section:

    colors = ( ReadFile(/tmp/colors, 1000) )
    cat = ( ExecResult(/bin/cat /tmp/colors) )

(and a few more echos in shellcommands) I get this:

$ cfagent -qK
cfengine:morse:/bin/echo one t: one two three
cfengine:morse:/bin/echo foo b: foo bar baz
cfengine:morse:/bin/echo red y: red yellow green
cfengine:morse:/bin/echo red y: sh: purple: command not found
cfengine:morse:/bin/echo red y: red yellow green purple orange blue