Re: Monitoring config help

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: Monitoring config help
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:37:01 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 HAYESE@Nationwide.com wrote:

> Is there anyone using Cfengine to monitor the patch/pkg levels in thier
> environment? We've got several hundred serves to keep "in sync" - patch and
> pkg wise. And of course, we want to make those "quarterly" touches/updates,
> if possible. We've being looking at several commercial software packages,
> and have only recently discovered Cfengine. I just don't know enought to be
> able to compare, althoughI have compiled on a Solaris 9 system with a
> "minimum" cfagent file.
>
> If anyone has any, I would sure love to see an example of scripts...thanks
> for your help...EDH

        There should be some in the archives.  I know it's possible, and
different people have had different approaches.  My approach (which
everyone else thought was overkill) was to set up a database which listed
which packages I thought should be installed for each class, and then by
adding a machine to a class it would install all the right packages.

        Someone else did something similar but based on machines instead
of classes.  You can find their work at the following link:

http://astro.uchicago.edu/~davidr/cfengine-tools/lisa-paper_html/

        You may also be interested in the following link:
http://math.univ-lille1.fr/~hafidi/deploy_and_maintain_howto/html/deploy.html

        The first of the two links applies to packages and patches,
whereas the second applies to yum and RPM, which may not be what you want.

        :)

--
Tim Nelson
Systems Administrator