Editfiles hack

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Editfiles hack
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:32:10 -0600

I've started using the following for most of my config files. I kind
of felt it was a dirty hack, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else was
doing the same or had suggestions.

I'll use an editfiles command like the one below, basically it looks
for a revision number as the first line of the file. If it doesn't
match, then the entire file contents is replaced.

{ /etc/network/interfaces

AutoCreate

BeginGroupIfNoLineMatching "# interfaces v1.02"
  EmptyEntireFilePlease
  Append "# interfaces v1.02"
  Append ""
  Append "auto lo"
  Append "iface lo inet loopback"
  Append ""
  Append "auto eth0"
  Append "iface eth0 inet static"
  Append "        address 192.168.1.170"
  Append "        netmask 255.255.255.0"
  Append "        network 192.168.1.0"
  Append "        broadcast 192.168.1.255"
  Append "        gateway 192.168.1.254"
  Append ""
EndGroup
}

Part of this was caused by my recent frustration trying to replace
individual lines in the above config file in a reliable manner. (ie:
replace address, but not all addresses...)

Comments?

Russell Adams
RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.com
http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/