Re: [Infrastructures] FW: Version control checkout

From: John Sechrest
Subject: Re: [Infrastructures] FW: Version control checkout
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 10:31:44 -0800

I see what you are doing, but I am not seeing what advantage it gives from
using tags on a regular cvs tree.

What efficiency / clarity are you getting from seperate cvs trees?

Martin Andrews <martin@slackers.net> writes:

 % Instead of  CVS branches I have staged releases. For early level testing
 % I serve up the config tree from my CVS sandbox. Once I have some level
 % of confidence I check my changes in and the master checks out the CVS
 % head and makes a new release. Every time I change my configuration I
 % create a new unique release tree - so the directory my master publishes
 % looks like this:
 %
 % drwxr-xr-x   25 cfmaster cfmaster     4096 Mar 24 14:24 260
 % drwxr-xr-x   25 cfmaster cfmaster     4096 Mar 25 10:03 261
 % drwxr-xr-x   25 cfmaster cfmaster     4096 Mar 26 09:13 262
 % drwxr-xr-x   25 cfmaster cfmaster     4096 Mar 26 10:28 263
 % drwxr-xr-x   25 cfmaster cfmaster     4096 Mar 26 11:24 264
 % drwxr-xr-x   25 cfmaster cfmaster     4096 Mar 31 16:32 265
 % drwxr-xr-x   25 cfmaster cfmaster     4096 Apr  1 10:43 266
 % drwxr-xr-x    3 cfmaster cfmaster     4096 Apr  1 10:43 archive
 % lrwxrwxrwx    1 cfmaster cfmaster        3 Apr  1 10:43 current -> 266
 % -rw-r--r--    1 cfmaster cfmaster        4 Apr  1 10:43 current.num
 % -rw-r--r--    1 cfmaster cfmaster        4 Apr  1 10:43 relnum
 % lrwxrwxrwx    1 cfmaster cfmaster        3 Mar 26 11:35 stable -> 264
 % -rw-r--r--    1 cfmaster cfmaster        4 Mar 26 11:35 stable.num
 %
 % Most machines check the stable.num at each run and use that release. I
 % have a set of trial machines that use the current.num instead - this
 % number is updated whenever I release from the CVS head. After I am
 % satisfied that the current release is working okay on the trial servers
 % I "promote" that release number to stable.
 %
 % Now I use a cfengine-like perl script to pulling the configuration - but
 % I used to do the same thing with cfengine. This scheme makes it easy and
 % reliable to move changes form trial systems to final release. It also
 % has the bonus of ensuring that a end host never picks up files from two
 % different releases if a release is made in the middel of its run.
 %
 % This method does not support parallel development (except for the
 % private trials published from your own cvs sandbox) - but that has been
 % acceptable to me. I have glossed over a lot - let me know if anyone is
 % interested in more details.
 %
 % Martin
 %
 %
 % Luke A. Kanies wrote:
 %
 % >
 % >This is the part of the problem that I consider unsolved.  I've played
 % >with using CVS branches, but given a typical site with 4-10 cfengine
 % >modules, 20 or so cfengine config files, and maybe 50 different config
 % >files, how do you do the brances?  Per file?  Per tree?  It's not
 % >straightforward.
 % >
 % >
 % >