Re: cfengine runs every hour by default?

From: Brendan Strejcek
Subject: Re: cfengine runs every hour by default?
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:00:01 -0500

cmustard wrote:

> - Do you mean diabling cfexecd? That is the one that runs hourly
>   by default.

You're right. Sorry about the typo.

> - Hmmm, any examles in what to expect,... error prone?
>   Because for my situation using cfengine in this (push style) is
>   actually preferred. I am using cfengine to push current staging
>   environment into production middleware box's.

Maybe a push model is more appropriate for your problem. It would be
overly simplistic to say that relying on cfrun is error prone, but,
for example, what happens when one of your machines is down during the
friday push? Do your hosts also poll for changes upon boot? If the
previously described machine was brought back up on saturday, would you
have an out of date machine for a week? Etc.

I would not worry about the network traffic. As long as your clients
are not DDoSing the cfengine master, all is well.