Mandrake's msec vs cfengine

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Mandrake's msec vs cfengine
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:20:18 -0500

Anybody have any experience in getting cfengine and Mandrake's "msec" to work
and play well together?  My first instinct is to simply get rid of msec, but
it seems rather fundamental to Mandrake's drake tools and looks like it has
some nice features.

Anyway, this leaves me wondering if I am better off (a) killing msec, (b)
using cfengine to drive msec, or (c) keeping cfengine the heck out of msec's
way.

Anybody have any experience with any of these options?  How did it work out?
I'm particularly interested in knowing what longer-term problems might arise
if I simply turn off the thing (either uninstall the package or otherwise
disable it).

(For those who do not know but care anyway:  msec is a bundle that Mandrake
uses to perform various security tasks, such as maintaining certain file/dir
permissions and some of the config state of certain apps, e.g. sshd.  It is
very specialized and looks a bit clunky to customize, but potentially
powerful).