determining active eth interfaces

From: Kurt Lieber
Subject: determining active eth interfaces
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:18:58 -0400

We have a couple of boxes that have multiple ethernet interfaces, generally
only one of which is in use at any given time. I'm trying to come up with a
way to determine what interface cfengine is communicating on so that I may
use that for other scripts that I'm writing.  (if it's communicating over a
specific interface, then I can rely on that interface to be active)

I suspect that:

net_iface_eth0:
        _my_eth = ( eth0 )

net_iface_eth1:
        _my_eth = ( eth1 )

Will work but I'm curious if anyone has any better ways of accomplishing
the same thing.

Thanks.

--kurt