stray file copies

From: Kevin Matthews
Subject: stray file copies
Date: 17 May 2004 06:44:09 -0700

I am running cfengine 2.1.6 on 5 test servers.  I notice that it
sometimes reports copy actions when the original on the cf server has
not been changed.  For example the following stanza which has been in
place for weeks, caused a copy to one of the five servers this
weekend.  The original, the new copy on the target server and the
cfsaved copy on the target server all show the same md5 checksum.

/ny/lnylinux01/repos/scripts/sar_send.sh
        dest=/var/scripts/sar_send.sh
        mode=744
        owner=root
        group=root
        action=fix
        type=checksum
        timestamp=keep
        server=$(policyhost)

In all cases where the stray copy happened the type=checksum.  Other
copies using timestamp did not do unnecessary copies.

Why would cfengine do this copy?  It didn't cause any harm, but
something seems unreliable.  Could the checksum call be a problem?

Kevin Matthews