home directive on RHS and without NFS

From: Steve Wray
Subject: home directive on RHS and without NFS
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:45:38 +1200

Hi there,

I am trying to create symlinks in each users home directory.

Intuitively, having read the documentation and noted the home directive,
I started with;

links:
   home/Desktop/Documents -> home/Documents

where /home/*/Documents and /home/*/Desktop are directories.

For one thing, we won't be using NFS and I am wondering, having read the
documentation, if the home directive can be expected to work at all
without defined homeservers and mountpoints? Or can I define 'fake'
variables for these and 'get away with it'?

For another thing, can I expect home to work on the RHS at all?

Then I thought "I know, I'll specify the RHS as a relative link!" like
this;

links:
   home/Desktop/Documents -> ../Documents

since relative to where I specify the location of the symlink, the
Documents directory is one level up

The only thing that works is;

links:
   /home/steve.wray/Desktop/Documents -> ../Documents

Any suggestions?

Thanks!