Re: home directive on RHS and without NFS

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Re: home directive on RHS and without NFS
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 14:19:44 -0500

On Monday 31 May 2004 16:45, Steve Wray wrote:

> For one thing, we won't be using NFS and I am wondering, having read the
> documentation, if the home directive can be expected to work at all
> without defined homeservers and mountpoints? Or can I define 'fake'
> variables for these and 'get away with it'?

I hacked around it by writing a little module (in perl) that called getpwent a
bunch of times and returned a variable along the lines of
"userlist=user1:user2:user3:...".  Sections that support iterators can then
use the $(userlist) variable.

I'm a little untrusting of the homepattern/mountpattern stuff, since our
automount  environment has non-home directories under /home/<hostname>/,
users whose homedirs don't match their username, and other such
idiosyncracies.

--

Chip Seraphine
Unix Administrator