Solution for FreeBSD cfengine IPv6 troubles

From: Tiller Beauchamp
Subject: Solution for FreeBSD cfengine IPv6 troubles
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:07:17 -0700

Hello All,

I thought I would share my solution with the list in hopes that it might
save someone a few hours.

=== Problem ===

cfservd on FreeBSD is binding to an IPv6 address and not servicing
IPv4.  You can verify that this is happening by running cfservd -d2 and
seeing that the daemon binds to an IPv6 address but nothing is mention
about IPv4.  Here is what the end of my cfservd debug output used to
look like:

[ cut ]
IPV6 address
sockaddr_ntop(::)
Bound to address :: on freebsd=14
Listening for connections ...

If you enable logging of tcp connection attempts:
# sysctl net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain=1

You should see something like this in your log files when clients try to
connect to the server:

Jun  1 14:24:29 hostname kernel: Connection attempt to TCP
192.168.0.1:5308 from 192.168.0.2:32842 flags:0x02

=== Solution ===

Add the following line to the control section of your cfservd.conf file:

 BindToInterface = ( servers_ipv4_address )

For example:

 BindToInterface = ( 192.168.0.1 )

Next time you run cfservd -d2 you should see something like this at the
end:

[cut]
IPV4 address
sockaddr_ntop(192.168.0.1)
Bound to address 192.168.0.1 on freebsd=14
Listening for connections ...

Hope this helps.  Please comment if you have a better way or
explanation.

.tiller