Re: Maintaining RC symlinks

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Maintaining RC symlinks
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:28:12 +0200

Chip Seraphine <chip@trdlnk.com> writes:

> I'm getting ready to write  a script for turning on and off SVR4-style start/
> kill symlinks to init.d scripts (think chkconfig, but less friendly).  Before
> I reinvent any wheels, I was wondering if anybody wants to share any really
> clever solutions or ideas for adding/removing links...

I don't understand what you want.  To clarify, why does not

links:
    turn_em_on::
        /etc/rc2.d/S90mysql ->! ../init.d/mysql
        /etc/rc3.d/S90mysql ->! ../init.d/mysql

suffice for turning on the links, and why does not

tidy:
    turn_em_off::
        /etc/rc2.d pattern=S90mysql recurse=0 age=0
        /etc/rc3.d pattern=S90mysql recurse=0 age=0

suffice for turning them off?  (Beware, I've never used the links and
tidy directives in CFengine.)

(I just unconditionally run "update-rc.d mysql defaults" on every
cfengine run because update-rc.d knows to do nothing if the link
exists.  That is not as nice as it should be, but oh, well.
update-rc.d is a Debian thing.)

Kai