cfengine 2.1.7snapshot weirdness with multiple methods

From: Sven Mueller
Subject: cfengine 2.1.7snapshot weirdness with multiple methods
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:04:10 +0200

Hi.

While setting up our new cfengine-based Configuration management, we noticed a weirdness with regards to methods. This is an excerpt from our configuration file. The actual method definition has no influence on the behaviour observed.

--------------- begin config file excerpt -----------------------
methods:

InstallLeososPackage(sendmail-8.12.11.tbz2,$(master_cfinput),$(policyhost))

                action=InstallLeososPackage.conf
                returnvars=null
                returnclasses=null
                server=localhost

InstallLeososPackage(cyrus-sasl-2.1.15.tbz2,$(master_cfinput),$(policyhost))

                action=InstallLeososPackage.conf
                returnvars=null
                returnclasses=null
                server=localhost
--------------- begin config file excerpt -----------------------

This is about the only way it works for us. If we remove the empty lines after the method call (InstallLeososPackage), cfengine only executes the first method definition. We once had it execute two of three methods without the empty lines after the call, but it never executed all methods when the empty lines were missing. The variables master_cfinput and policyhost are, of course defined at that point (in the master cf_agent.conf where this config is imported).

Anyone on here who also observed this behaviour? IMHO this should be considered a bug in the config parser, but I am not sure wether there might be some reasoning behind this behaviour. I guess not.

cu,
Sven

--