Re: anyone running cfengine2 on debian sarge?

From: Jamie Wilkinson
Subject: Re: anyone running cfengine2 on debian sarge?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:49:30 +1000

This one time, at band camp, Andrew Stribblehill wrote:
>Quoting Brendan Strejcek <brendan@cs.uchicago.edu> (2004-06-29 20:41:20 BST):
>> Karsten Heymann wrote:
>>
>> > I'm trying to deploy cfengine2 on Debian Sarge and am having some
>> > questions about the install-defaults of the debian package. Especially
>> > I am wondering wether its default filesystem layout - workdir is
>> > /var/lib/cfeninge2, /var/lib/cfengine2/inputs is a symlink to
>> > /etc/cfengine and /var/lib/cfengine2/bin is a symlink to /usr/sbin --
>> > makes any sense.
>
>What would you suggest? I have to keep Cfengine to the FHS and that
>means having binaries available from /usr/{s,}bin and config files from /etc.
>Equally, I don't want to diverge too far from upstream Cfengine. At
>present, I think this is the right balance between the two
>requirements but I'll listen to arguments otherwise. It *is* ugly;
>give me something better.

I'd like to suggest that what you are calling "config files" are nothing
of the sort.  /etc/cfengine2 and /var/lib/cfengine/inputs can come from
totally different sources, for example all my client machines' inputs
directories are not config files, they're written to /v/l/c/inputs by
the fact that the update.conf tells them to.

So, I would create /etc/cfengine and allow the admin to serve that from
cfservd, and create /var/lib/cfengine/inputs and let cfagent write there
freely, and you don't have to worry about mixing the two at all.

If you're *really* concerned about making it work out of the box, use
/etc/default/cfengine and set the CFINPUTS env var, sourcing that in the
initscript.

--
jaq@spacepants.org                           http://spacepants.org/jaq.gpg