Re: anyone running cfengine2 on debian sarge?

From: Karsten Heymann
Subject: Re: anyone running cfengine2 on debian sarge?
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:26:23 +0200

Hello Andrew, Brendan,

first thank you for all the replies. After two weeks, I didn't expect
anything to come ;-)

Andrew Stribblehill wrote:
> Quoting Brendan Strejcek <brendan@cs.uchicago.edu> (2004-06-29 20:41:20
BST):
>> Karsten Heymann wrote:
>> > I'm trying to deploy cfengine2 on Debian Sarge and am having some
>> > questions about the install-defaults of the debian package. Especially
>> > I am wondering wether its default filesystem layout - workdir is
>> > /var/lib/cfeninge2, /var/lib/cfengine2/inputs is a symlink to
>> > /etc/cfengine and /var/lib/cfengine2/bin is a symlink to /usr/sbin --
>> > makes any sense.
>
> What would you suggest? I have to keep Cfengine to the FHS and that
> means having binaries available from /usr/{s,}bin and config files from
> /etc. Equally, I don't want to diverge too far from upstream Cfengine. At
> present, I think this is the right balance between the two
> requirements but I'll listen to arguments otherwise. It *is* ugly;
> give me something better.

Are you actually *using* this setup? And when, then how? Would you mind
sharing your update.conf, maybe putting it into the package as an example?
The included upstream examples are quite hard to adapt to debians setup.

Or would anybody else mind sharing a running minmal setup for a debian-sarge
only network? As I'm working on a cfengine setup in parallel to my normal
work (to replace our usual selfmade bash+ssh+rsync stuff), my time for
cfengine is a bit limited. Some kind of working starting ground would be a
very valuable help.

>> I agree with you about the workdir; I find the Debian defaults quite
>> annoying.

Yes, and I don't understand cfengine so good (yet) to make arbitrary changes
to the config.

But I'll try to implement some of the suggestions made in this thread next
week and will post wether they worked.

Yours,
Karsten