help!! - cfservd stops responding after several hours

From: Guolin Cheng
Subject: help!! - cfservd stops responding after several hours
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:22:05 -0700

Hi,

 I got a strange problem here with cfengine 2.1.3.

 The problem is: after I migration my cfengine policy server from original host to a new server (change all related configurations as well). The new policy server runs fine in several hours. Then suddenly it stops responding to other cfengine clients.

 The symptoms are: on the client side, “cfagent –v –q” will hangs at the stage of initially talking to cfengine policy server.

At the policy server end, “ps auxw | grep cfservd | grep –v grep” reports no cfservd processes creation or dying.

 The problem is quite strange since the policy server can respond to clients very well for several hours, ( my clients run cfagent in background hourly). While after several hours everything stops running.

 One response logged from the client end is attached below :

>----------

/alexa/etc/cron.d/cron.hourly/cfagent.sh:

cfengine:: Challenge response from server cfServer.alexa.com/10.0.20.42 was incorrect!

cfengine:: Authentication dialogue with cfServer.alexa.com failed

cfengine:cfClient: Couldn't open a socket

cfengine:cfClient: Unable to establish connection with cfServer.alexa.com

cfengine:cfClient: Couldn't open a socket

cfengine:cfClient: Unable to establish connection with cfServer.alexa.com

cfengine:cfClient: Couldn't open a socket

cfengine:cfClient: Unable to establish connection with cfServer.alexa.com

cfengine:cfClient: Couldn't open a socket

cfengine:cfClient: Unable to establish connection with cfServer.alexa.com

cfengine:cfClient: Couldn't open a socket

cfengine:cfClient: Unable to establish connection with cfServer.alexa.com

cfengine:cfClient: Couldn't open a socket

 Any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated.

 Thanks.

 --Guolin Cheng