Re: Getting $(allclasses) into a shellcommand

From: Ed Brown
Subject: Re: Getting $(allclasses) into a shellcommand
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:45:26 -0600

Apt-get DOESN'T have groups?  My bad.

It was an assumption, and not really the point.  Yum (which we use)
certainly allows you to define groups, and redhat's comps.xml can be
used for customizations that way, but you could simply create text files
and parse them in your perl wrapper.  The point was to cut down the # of
defined classes, by not trying to define one for every required rpm.

And since thinking about it more this afternoon, I'd be strongly
inclined to handle the installs in the kickstart script itself, if
possible.  Checking every time cfengine runs to see if 'a few hundred
RPMs' are installed would add a lot of overhead, for something that only
needs to be done once.  If you really wanted to handle this with
cfengine, you might try doing it only if a special class is defined. For
example, we install cfengine during kickstart, and run it there for the
first time with '-d NewBuild', for some first time, one time actions.

-Ed