Re: convergent principle and editfile issue

From: Zeev Fisher
Subject: Re: convergent principle and editfile issue
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:40:48 +0300

Well , if it's the case ,  then it's exactly what i was looking for.

Thanks !

Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:
There is no problem is using emptyentirefileplease and reconstructing this
from scratch. Cfengine will only regenerate the file if the content that you
describe differs from the actual content on the disk. The file will not be
rewritten if no change is made.

Mark

On 22 Jul, Zeev Fisher wrote:

Hi,

I would like to discuss again the concept of  convergent  and editfiles.

 From earlier discussion:

"The real reason for me using editfiles over copy for managing
configuration is that sometimes the values being set differ per machine,
which makes a single file less useful.  I certainly use copy for every
file that I want identical across all machines, but these files are
rarely configuration files.
I also like to make the minimum amount of change to any configuration
file, and I want any automatic edits to respect formatting changes that
a human makes."

I totally agree with this and i can't understand how such great software like cfengine which is
based on the principle of convergent , doesn't have editfiles ability to check if certain file
match certain structure ( which is dynamic according to the machine it runs on but the template is
fixed)

For example , i'm trying to find a way which will make sure that only the following 2 lines will
appear in my hosts.equiv file :

+@examplenetgroup
examplehost

The netgroup name is constant but the hostname is the hostname of the
machine itself so i can't use copy.

With all current editfiles feature , except of creating from scratch
every time the file with emptyentirefileplease and inserts , i can't
make sure that if someone added there host , it will be removed next
time cfengine run.

I will be happy to hear how to do this if it's possible.

Thanks,
Zeev

Work: +47 22453272            Email:  Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no
Fax : +47 22453205            WWW  :  http://www.iu.hio.no/~mark

Zeev Fisher - Unix System Administrator
Marvell Semiconductor Israel Ltd
6 Hamada Street, Mordot HaCarmel Industrial Park
Yokneam 20692
Israel

Email    -  Zeev.Fisher@il.marvell.com
Tel      -  + 972 4 9091402
Cell     -  + 972 54 4995402
Fax      -  + 972 4 9091501
WWW Page:     http://www.marvell.com
This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged
information. The information is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
immediately by telephone, or by e-mail and delete the message from your
computer.