Generation of distributed nagios configuration w/cfengine

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: Generation of distributed nagios configuration w/cfengine
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 01:14:54 -0500 (CDT)

Hi all,

I've been working on this project for a while, and I think I've finally reached what I would call a beta.

I've now got a collection of scripts (all written in Ruby) which generate the necessary configurations for running an appropriate nagios configuration on each node (using nsca to push updates to the central server) plus an aggregated configuration for the central node. This system is completely self-maintaining, built off the information I store in my cfengine configurations. Using cfengine, it automatically restarts the nagios processes when configurations change, and it automatically builds and redistributes the configurations as necessary.

As with all betas, the documentation is not yet up to snuff, but you can find the (current) main page at:

http://madstop.com/naginator

There you'll also find a tarball of the latest snapshot (as of today) plus a link to the Subversion code. Install instructions are available at http://madstop.com/svn/naginator/INSTALL, along with mucho detail about the whys and wherefores.

As with all solutions, this one works for the author (me), but others might find it useful, too. I do need to point out, though: This is not necessarily terribly easy to set up, as its setup is meant to be entirely automated with a tool like cfengine. The focus of its development is on its ability to maintain itself over time; as I add services to my hosts (using cfengine), I want to automatically start monitoring them, and as I add things like disks, I want them to automatically start being monitored.

Yes, I have achieved a completely self-maintaining monitoring system with Nagios. It still has some quirks, but hopefully if a few more people use it, we can iron them out and get something good.

I will gladly take suggestions and recommendations. I'm especially interested in people who might be integrating this with their own larger management system, as it will force me to abstract out the cfengine parts.

On the other hand, if anyone is interested in how this integrates with the rest of my automation, please email me off-list.

This package also includes a full, LALR parser for nagios configuration files. It's written in ruby, but it makes parsing files trivial, and it includes full object definitions for all currently known Nagios objects.

I also have a generated LDAP schema for nagios objects, although I'm not currently using it. Please let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,
Luke

--
Meeting, n.:
        An assembly of people coming together to decide what person or