RE: help!! - cfservd stops responding after several hours

From: Bill.Hall
Subject: RE: help!! - cfservd stops responding after several hours
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:09:17 -0700

Guolin Cheng

We just ran into the same issue here, I did some testing and found out that one
of the admins had regenerated the keys on our master server (copy server).

So I tested as follows:

1. removed the master server pub key from one of the clients
2. stopped cfservd on the master server
3. wait 5 minutes to clear the socket (justin case)
4. ran cfagnet -vq -d3 on the client (work fine transfed the new key over as it
should)
5. ran cfagent -vq -d3 on a client with the old key (the client hung)
6. ran cfagent -vq -d3 on the original client with the new key (the client hung
again)
7. stopped cfservd on the master server
8. ran cfagnet -vq -d3 on the client (work fine transfed the new key over as it
should)

It seems like when cfservd gets a "bad" key it will hang the process and not
allow any copies to happen.

We are removing the master pub key from all clients and will start up cfservd
again when that is complete.

Since you had changed your master server to another machine the keys are diff
on the clients causing this (IMHO) I would suggest stopping your cfservd and
removing all the clients master.pub key from /var/cfengine/ppkeys. then restart
the cfservd.

anyone else have any other suggestions.

This was also with 2.1.3 and also tested 2.1.7 from a quick compile this
morning.

original post
I got a strange problem here with cfengine 2.1.3.

 The problem is: after I migration my cfengine policy server from
original host to a new server (change all related configurations as
well). The new policy server runs fine in several hours. Then suddenly
it stops responding to other cfengine clients.

 The symptoms are: on the client side, "cfagent -v -q" will hangs at the
stage of initially talking to cfengine policy server.

At the policy server end, "ps auxw | grep cfservd | grep -v grep"
reports no cfservd processes creation or dying.

 The problem is quite strange since the policy server can respond to
clients very well for several hours, ( my clients run cfagent in
background hourly). While after several hours everything stops running.

 One response logged from the client end is attached below :