Re: Variable substitution using builtin functions

From: Eric Sorenson
Subject: Re: Variable substitution using builtin functions
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 08:13:19 -0700 (PDT)

On 4 Aug 2004, Peter Sevborn wrote:

> However if I change
> cfgroups_exists = ( FileExists($(CFINPUTS)/cf.groups) )
> cfgroups_exists = ( FileExists(${CFINPUTS}/cf.groups) )
> cfgroups_exists gets defined.
>
> What is the difference between parenthesis and curly brackets arround
> a variable using a builtin function? Did I miss something in the
> documentation?

Curly braces and parens are equivalent -- except when they aren't.
There is some odd parser behavior in variable-interpolated arguments
to the built-in functions like FileExists. This has come up on the
mailing list in the past and should probably be FAQ-ized (or fixed).

--

    Eric Sorenson - EXPLOSIVE Networking - http://explosive.net