Re: Process defunct

From: Phil D'Amore
Subject: Re: Process defunct
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 12:00:57 -0400

The Right Way to fix this is to find out why the defunct process is hanging around in the first place. Whatever originally started the sniffer process is not properly handling its departure, hence the process table entry is being held.

The source if this problem is likely this process' parent (identified by the PPID in the output of a 'ps -ef'. If you don't solve this problem, then over time you will wind up with a process table full of defunct sniffer processes. Is cfengine starting this process, or is something else starting it?

RT wrote:

Hi group

Have a process problem I hope you can help me with. We are using cfengine on
some of our linux network monitors. One of the processes is called 'Sniffer'
and some time this process crashes. The problem is that the process will not
disappear but a ps -A command will show:

sniffer  (defunct)

Due to this the service will not get restarted in the processes: facility,
as the process is apparently detected as 'alive'

Any idea how to get cfengine to restart a process when it "defunct's"?

Thanks in advance

Rasmus