Re: timezone errors on 2.1.8

From: Adrian Phillips
Subject: Re: timezone errors on 2.1.8
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 10:07:52 +0200

    Jamie> This one time, at band camp, Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:
    >> Again some people think you should set the date. Perhaps this
    >> should be configurable.

    Jamie> I don't mind if it sets it, as long as it gets it right.
    Jamie> Perhaps you could use a configure test to see if %z exists
    Jamie> in strftime.

    Jamie> The manpage for strftime says that %z is "Required to emit
    Jamie> RFC822-conformant dates" but then also indicates it's a GNU
    Jamie> extension.  My reading of this is that %Z is not RFC822
    Jamie> conformant and thus shouldn't be used.

strftime %Z zone name is RFC822 conformant but is obsolete in 2822 :-

zone            =       (( "+" / "-" ) 4DIGIT) / obs-zone

ie. don't use it.

If a Date header is to be generated and no %z option exists then
perhaps a UTC date/time should be generated.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Who really wrote the works of William Shakespeare ?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shakespeare/