Running multiple versions of cfengine during rolling upgrade?

From: Cole, Tim
Subject: Running multiple versions of cfengine during rolling upgrade?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:54:38 -0400

Hi,

Is there any guidance on running different versions of cfengine in one distributed configuration?

For example, our cfengine "server" host and all cfengine "pull" hosts are presently running the same version of cfengine @ 2.1.0p1.  We wish

to   s l o w l y   upgrade our environment to a newer patch-level of

cfengine; i.e. 2.1.8 or 2.1.9; after of course some requisite testing.

Our software rollout strategy presently involves rolling out our software in 4 host tiers, ranging from least significant risk (Tier A) to most significant risk (Tier D).  This allows a gentler application of the brakes to our rollout if necessary.  Additionally any anomalous behavior would probably be caught before critical systems are affected. (BTW, we use this same approach, leveraging classes, within our cfengine configuration when introducing new changes/software to our

infrastructure.)

Given that strategy, could we rollout a newer version of cfengine to our Tier A "pull" hosts while still pointing to an older cfengine "server". We would then rollout Tiers B, C, and D, and for the final step, we would upgrade the cfengine "server".

How would cfservd, cfagent and cfrun behave with differing versions?

Cheers,

Tim

This e-mail is the exclusive, private and confidential property of the sender. The
information contained in it is intended solely for the use of the sender and the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby advised that
any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in
reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by telephone (call the USF
Corporation Technical Support Center at 1-800-753-4563) and then destroy this
document and any copies in any form immediately.  Finally, the recipient should
check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. USF Corporation
accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.