Re: Compiling cfengine on AIX 5.1

From: Chris Kacoroski
Subject: Re: Compiling cfengine on AIX 5.1
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:21:05 -0700

Funny thing was is that I was using gcc compiled bison from the sunfreeware.com. It worked fine with other programs, just no cfengine. I have no idea why - some compiler switch or something.

ski

Christopher Browne wrote:

After a long battle with technology, Chris Kacoroski <ckacoroski@nsd.org>, an
earthling, wrote:

You may also have to build bison from source.  When I installed on a
sun, the bison packages would not work for some reason.

A typical cause for that would be if the "packaged" versions were
compiled with a vendor compiler that doesn't interoperate with the
version of (say) GCC that you want to use instead.

We found at work that we needed to recompile Perl from scratch on
Solaris in order to be able to link in needful PostgreSQL extensions,
and compiler mismatch was the reason.

I wouldn't want to _imagine_ trying to link GCC-compiled code against
VAC-compiled bison libs...

--
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
  connected to the entire universe"                John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, ckacoroski@nsd.org, 425-489-6263