cfengine "MAIL FROM" bug?

From: Adam M. Dunn
Subject: cfengine "MAIL FROM" bug?
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:39:41 -0500 (CDT)

I'm having a problem with mail in the stock cfengine 2.1.9.  I recently
installed it and am just trying to learn it, and ran into trouble getting
it to send out email.  After a long time of investication I resorted to
editing the C code in cfexecd.c to make it work!  Could this be a bug?

Here is what my mail configuration in cfagent.conf looks like (names have
been changed to protect the innocent!):

   site       = ( mysite )
   domain     = ( mysite.domain.edu )
   inform     = ( on )
   sysadm     = ( myname@domain.edu )
   smtpserver = ( mail.mysite.domain.edu )
   EmailMaxLines = ( 100 )

My SMTP server is running sendmail, and if I run in debug mode:
cfexecd -F --verbose --debug

I get mail failure output like this:

Connecting...
Nothing to send .. waiting for opening
220 mailhost.mysite.domain.edu ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.9/8.12.9; Thu, 19 Aug
2004
13:27:42 -0500 (CDT)
HELO client.mysite.domain.edu
SENT(30)->HELO client.mysite.domain.edu
250 client.mysite.domain.edu Hello client.mysite.domain.edu
[128.249.154.195], pleased to meet you
MAIL FROM: <cfengine@myname@domain.edu>
SENT(41)->MAIL FROM: <cfengine@myname@domain.edu>
553 5.1.3 <cfengine@myname@domain.edu>... Invalid route address
cfexecd: Cannot mail to myname@domain.edu.

Why is the MAIL FROM trying to set to <cfengine@myname@domain.edu>!?!

I ended up temporarily making the following change in the cfexecd.c file,
and it works for me now:

935,936c935
<    /*sprintf(VBUFF,"MAIL FROM: <cfengine@%s>\r\n",domain);*/
<    sprintf(VBUFF,"MAIL FROM: <cfengine@%s>\r\n",VFQNAME);
---
>    sprintf(VBUFF,"MAIL FROM: <cfengine@%s>\r\n",domain);

Anyone know why this is happening?  Mark, is this a bug??

Thanks,
Adam