Re: ifconfig defunct (again...)

From: Lance Albertson
Subject: Re: ifconfig defunct (again...)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:46:20 -0500

Mike Gabriel wrote:
> hi there,
>
> i was just wondering if the ifconfig defunct problem issued in
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-cfengine/2004-06/msg00024.html
>
> has yet been solved in cfengine 2.1.10. currently i habe been using a 2.1.9
> debian sid package backported to sarge with a 2.6.5 kernel (ipv6 is
> activated...)

I don't believe so as I'm still seeing this happen.

> from time to time (more than once daily) a cfagent and its child ifconfig
> hangs around on the system in zombie fashion. the system becomes incredibly
> slow around the network devices on this occasion...
>
> if this issue has not been solved, the admins at our institute may contribute
> to the debugging...

If I can help you in anyway, I can try. I'm wondering what we have similar in
our configuration that could cause this. We have to have something similar since
I haven't heard anyone emailing about this problem. Out of curiosity, are you
running Gentoo?

--
Lance Albertson <ramereth@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Infrastructure

---
Public GPG key:  <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1  4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742

ramereth/irc.freenode.net