dual copy rules

From: Lyndon C. Lim
Subject: dual copy rules
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 17:33:12 -0700

copy:
        $(templates)/ntp.conf
            dest=/etc/ntp.conf
            server=$(policy_host)
            type=checksum
            mode=644
            owner=root
            group=root
            timestamps=preserve
            verify=true
            define=notify_ntpconf

shellcommands:
    notify_ntpconf::
        "/usr/bin/printf \"Installed /etc/ntp.conf\n\""
        "/usr/bin/rdate -s ntp01.artisan.com"
        "/etc/init.d/ntpd restart"

I have the rules above to update and restart NTP.
I use the type=checksum construct to ensure that
a local modification is caught and reverted.

However, sometimes I might like to force an
update w/o actually modifying the file to
cause the checksum to differ.

Is there any potential difficulty if I use
two copy rules?

        $(templates)/ntp.conf
            dest=/etc/ntp.conf
            server=$(policy_host)
            type=checksum
            mode=644
            owner=root
            group=root
            timestamps=preserve
            verify=true

        $(templates)/ntp.conf
            dest=/etc/ntp.conf
            server=$(policy_host)
            type=mtime
            mode=644
            owner=root
            group=root
            timestamps=preserve
            verify=true

This way, I could require the file is both
exactly the same for checksum and timestamp.

Could I cause some kind of loop or lock problem?

--
Lyndon C. Lim;  lyndon@artisan.com;  408.734.5600;  408.734.5050 (fax)
Artisan Components; 141 Caspian Court; Sunnyvale, CA 94089-1013; USA