Re: editfiles problem - revisited - Still nobody having an idea what goe

From: Sven Mueller
Subject: Re: editfiles problem - revisited - Still nobody having an idea what goes wrong?
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 12:51:39 +0200

Jamie Wilkinson [u] wrote on 06/09/2004 07:40:

This one time, at band camp, Sven Mueller wrote:

In short my problem was that I _need_ to restart a program if I changed it's config file. But for various reasons, I have to avoid restarting it, if I didn't change it.

I'm not sure what your problem is.  editfiles doesn't actually change the
file if there are no changes to make, and doesn't define any of the
DefineClasses either.

If your editfiles script is convergent, then it will just work.

Hmm, looks as if you are right here. So even a
DeleteLinesMatching "root:.*" followed by "AppendIfNoSuchLine "root:abc" won't define anything on if root:abc already exists. Fine.

Now the only problem left is that cfengine doesn't behave as advertised with the ReplaceLinesMatchingField directive. Not behaving the way the manual suggests isn't good, even if there are Ways to work around that particular problem.

cu,
sven