How to use cfengine modules?

From: Guolin Cheng
Subject: How to use cfengine modules?
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:33:24 -0700

Hi,

  I try to test cfengine module functions, and find there are two places I dont understand.

  1,  The classes defined in modules has to be declared with AddInstallable statement(s) in control section. This seems not convenient. For my case, my module script defined a dynamic number of classes, depending on the machines status. So, is it possible to dynamically define classes without declaration with AddInstallable statements?

2, The module name seems can not include a normal .sh suffix, and will not report error if the module file is not executable.  I have tried several times to debug it out with -v d2 options to cfagent. Before that my script is named linuxProbeServicesStatus.sh and my CVS system kicked off the executable bit of the module script file by mistake.

Classes defined in module files take effect only on sections behind module:* in actionsequence statement in same configuration file. They will not affect other imported siblings files (not child files or parent files). I havent testes imported child files yet.

 Ill send another email about my implementation of cfengine, share my experience and  ask for further help.

Thanks.

--Guolin Cheng