Implementing an update system

From: Pau Capdevila/Upcnet
Subject: Implementing an update system
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:32:45 +0200

Hi,

I'm building an update system based on cfengine.

By the moment I have a working base configuration. Now I've started with cfagent scripts and so on.
I've been studying the documentation and mailing list post for some time so I only (?) lack a bit of practice.
I'm not totally used to it yet and by now my administration skills are rather immature but I achieve with more or less effort my goals.

However I find some disadvantages:

Too many "shellcommands": I find myself bloating the "shellcommands" actionset with lots of things that I could do in an external script.
Action sequence: Some changes require an order in the execution. You can define an order between "actions" but cannot control If you want to
                          execute some other action beetween two shellcommands.
Debugging: I find extremely difficult to (I know that system administration is not easy) evaluate if all my actions have been carried successfully.
                 Then I can't increment the version number that I try to keep in order to know wich changes have been applied to every machine.
      Home directive: Can I use It to rename (disable)? or I must write a script.

Am I missing some feature of Cfengine that solves some of my questions? Any pointers?

Thanks,

Pau