Re: Killed wrong proc!

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Killed wrong proc!
Date: 29 Sep 2004 10:00:57 -0400

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, architect@webalive.biz wrote:

> Hmm.  I think Redhat wants you to use "service httpd start" or
> whatever.  There are also a variety of other actions, such as reload and
> status which could be useful.  However, unfortunately, the whole thing is
> pretty non-standardised :).

If /etc/init.d doesn't work properly in Redhat, that's news to me.
I stopped using it (for Debian) when the FC switch happened, and was
not aware of a difference.

Maybe cfengine can have an option to do "service" commands, but it
seems silly if /etc/init.d works just fine.  What's next, Redhat
will discover daemontools? :)

The reason why I only used "start" and "stop" in my example is
because those are the only standard options to /etc/init.d scripts
AFAIK.

If I'm ignorant of any standards in this regard, I would appreciate
some pointers.  Unix startup/shutdown scripts seem to be stable
relative to a SysV hierarchy these days, with almost no pure
BSD-style startup/shutdowns, but I'm not aware of a standard.

Anyhow, I think cfengine should support /etc/init.d scripts as an
option in processes: because that's at least 90% of the Unix systems
out there, and it's better to start a process that way (stop; start)
than sending a signal directly to the process.  The signal handling
differs among implementations, for one.

Ted