how to tell the difference between "redhat" and "fedora" distributions

From: Nielsen, Steve
Subject: how to tell the difference between "redhat" and "fedora" distributions
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:40:28 -0400

I want to be able to tell the difference between a real redhat distribution:

        redhat 7.3
        redhat enterprise ....

and Fedora (I know its really from redhat).

Currently, I am on Fedora Core 2 and both "redhat" and "fedora" are defined (as
well as "fedora_2"). There does not appear to be a distribution flavor variable
defined where I can easily discern between redhat and fedora. I know I can do
the following:

fedora::
        i_am_fedora = ( yes )
redhat.!fedora::
        i_am_redhat = ( yes )

but that is clunky. Is there a better way? Or can we add a "distribution" or
flavor special variable or defined class?

I want to be able to say (minus the clunkiness):

fedora::
redhat::

Thanks,
Steve