Re: Implementing an update system

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: Implementing an update system
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:02:52 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Pau Capdevila/Upcnet wrote:

Hi,

I'm building an update system based on cfengine.

By the moment I have a working base configuration. Now I've started with
cfagent scripts and so on.
I've been studying the documentation and mailing list post for some time
so I only (?) lack a bit of practice.
I'm not totally used to it yet and by now my administration skills are
rather immature but I achieve with more or less effort my goals.

However I find some disadvantages:

Too many "shellcommands": I find myself bloating the "shellcommands"
actionset with lots of things that I could do in an external script.
Action sequence: Some changes require an order in the execution. You can
define an order between "actions" but cannot control If you want to
                         execute some other action beetween two
shellcommands.

        You need more information on actionsequence:
-------------------
control:
        actionsequence = ( copy.first editfiles copy.second )

copy:
        first::
        second::

editfiles:
        any::
-------------------

"copy" gets run twice. First time around, the class "first" is defined (just for that run). The second time around, the class "second" is defined (just for that run).

Debugging: I find extremely difficult to (I know that system
administration is not easy) evaluate if all my actions have been carried
successfully.
                Then I can't increment the version number that I try to
keep in order to know wich changes have been applied to every machine.

You can receive more information by putting on the -vv option, but I'm not sure that's what you want. Can you give us an example of this?

     Home directive: Can I use It to rename (disable)? or I must write a
script.

Can you give an example of this too? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

        :)

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator