Re: Lack of output

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: Lack of output
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:15:54 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 07:13:54AM -0500, Russell Adams wrote:
I've got a strange problem occuring.

I run 'cfexecd -g' from inittab scheduled to run on the hour, and
'cfexecd -F' in crontab set to run at thiry minutes after the hour.

Hmm. I don't have a -g on my cfexecd man page, and I'm using 2.1.0 p1 like you.

I'm not sure what you mean about the inittab bit, but here's what I suggest: use one of the following, but *not both*:
-       Use cron to run cfagent (not cfexecd)
-       Run cfexecd from your init scripts, and don't run it from cron
        (this is the recommended option)

Why? Because cfexecd lives in memory and runs cfagent every x amount. Now you're wondering why anyone would write the mini-cron-replacement called cfexecd, and the answer is that it's more flexible in cfengine-specific circumstances (I think :) ).

Anyway, you also want your cfagent.conf (or a subfile) to have something like the following:

        schedule        = ( Min00_05 Min30_35 )

I get proper logs in /var/cfengine/outputs for each invocation of
cfexecd from cron, but all the logs from the child of init are 0
length files.

I thought I was only getting this related to updates, but all of my
systems are having the same problem.

Has anyone else here reproduced this? I'm on cfengine-2.1.0p1.

        Does what I said help?

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator