Re: Way to have cfengine not run when not on company network

From: Anne Cross
Subject: Re: Way to have cfengine not run when not on company network
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:45:17 -0400

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 09:01:24PM -0700, Chris Kacoroski wrote:

> I have cfengine running on several laptops.  When these machines are
> taken home and plugged into home DSL lines, cfengine runs and they
> attempt to contact the server which fails.  I then get error messages of
> all the failures.  Any ideas on how to either (1) turn off the error
> messages when the machine is not on the company network or (2) have
> cfengine not connect to the server if it is not on the company internal
> network.

Assuming your network has a standard address space that the DSL lines
don't share, maybe have your config only actually do anything when the
IP is your company's IP?

I'm assuming the laptops have DHCP, which may be incorrect, but if
they do, their IPs will presumably change from company network to
private network, and if the config has an actionsequence only when the
IP is in a certain netblock, that ought to solve things.

        -- Anne

Anne Cross
Systems Administrator, Tufts University
"Change has become a constant; managing it has become an expanding
 discipline." -- Queen Elizabeth II of England