cf_lastseen.db [was: List of monitored files?]

From: Brendan Strejcek
Subject: cf_lastseen.db [was: List of monitored files?]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:13:38 -0500

On a related note, I have been loving the friendstatus stuff. There
was a useful thread a while back about getting crunchable data out of
cf_lastseen.db. What I want is a nice command line utility that can
print and edit this db. To be able, for example, to manually expire some
hosts rather than wait for a week (and continue to get warnings).

I tried to write this with perl tie, but the berkeley db versions did
not seem to get along or something. Any perl gurus out there have any
insight? I'm sure the perl script would be only a few lines long and
imensely useful. I wrote a simple C program which does the printing part
of what I want but it's really ugly. I would much prefer just messing
with hashes. Or is there some obvious reason why perl tie can't be used
to interact with the databases cfengine creates?

Oh, and it would be nice if there was an option to make the
FriendStatus() alerts function do name resolution. Because getting an
email with a list of IP addresses requires me to manually resolve all
of them and then ignore most of the warnings (that is a dhcp address so
I don't care, that is a machine that got rebuilt yesterday so I don't
care, that is a machine that is not supposed to be running cfengine
because someone else is testing some new software on it, etc, etc).
Seeing the host names in the alert would make that more obvious.