backrefs in regexps?

From: martin f krafft
Subject: backrefs in regexps?
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 05:26:05 +0200

Hi all, I am new to cfengine and thus, this may be a really dumb
question. However, I went through the docs and I could not find the
solution, honestly.

I am trying to use editfiles/ReplaceAll and backreference into the
search pattern, conceptually like so:

  ReplaceAll "foo(.*)bar" With "bar$1foo"

However, the $1 is replaced literally. Is there a way to do what
I want/need?

Thanks,

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!
spamtraps: madduck.bogus@madduck.net

"the human brain is like an enormous fish --
 it is flat and slimy
 and has gills through which it can see."
                                                       -- monty python