Re: [Cfengine] Method to assure that action was taken

From: Bas van der Vlies
Subject: Re: [Cfengine] Method to assure that action was taken
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:17:21 +0200

Chris Kacoroski wrote:
Hi,

There are certain actions that I need to be sure get taken when cfengine runs (such as resetting the root password). Since I have several hundred laptop clients who are on and off the network, I would like to have a method where cfengine tells me that it has completed an action on a client (e.g. update a central database or ???). Has anyone else run into this problem and solved it?

There are several ways to achieve this. I have the following setup. I introduced an kind of change_management setup:
 - The client boots and execute always cfagent -DCHANGE
 - this reads change_management.cf. In this file i do all kind of
   checks, eg:
     - Do have all the software packages
     - Is the password file updated
     - ...
 - For every change i have an different config file. So i can easily
   remove the change configs

                Regards