Re: backrefs in regexps?

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: backrefs in regexps?
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:32:40 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, martin f krafft wrote:

        In this e-mail, you may find that it works if you use \1 instead
        of $1. If not, you'll need to do some more reading.

It does not. It seems that cfengine is not capable of back
referencing in the replacement text. Neither \1, $1, ${1}, $(1), or &
work.

        Ouch.  My apologies.

This is sad.

I agree. However, one of the beauties of cfengine is that the code is pretty readable. I suspect that by looking at the GlobalReplace function in item-ext.c, and the "regexec" man page, you'll be able to figure out how to fix the problem (GlobalReplace is called from edittools.c).

        :)

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator