RE: [Fwd: Re: ${clientip} ?]

From: Ed Brown
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Re: ${clientip} ?]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:50:25 -0600

Hi Wayne,

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 10:07, Wayne wrote:
> Hi Ed.
> I know tis isn't your issue, but I just thought I'd send some unsolicited
> info anyway.. :>P

I've kind of butted in, and made it my issue too...  (Sorry Tod!)

> We collect data from our clients on every Cfengine run.
> We use the "NFS mount method" of running Cfengine here in the SCC. In other
> words, All clients are built with automounted cfengine common(CFINPUTS,
> master files, etc) and os-specific(bins, libs, etc) directories. They run
> cfagent from cron and a shellcommand collects system info from the clients,
> which write out to a Cfengine client writable directory. This (NFS mount)
> may not be an option for Tod.

Interesting; knew you guys were using cfengine, but didn't know just
how...

> I also had a thought: Add a Cfengine shellcommand to run a logger command to
> send a formatted syslog to a MySql DB on a central server. We are set up
> here to do that by using a central logger running syslog-ng. Syslog-ng is
> much more flexible and feature rich than syslogd. It can send certain logs
> (Cfengine ones, i.e.) to a program, such as a MySql loader, in lieu
> of/addition to a log file. The clients could then interactively SQL select
> rows from that DB and parse the info for whatever purpose. Just a thought.
> Of course, the clients could just run a Perl-Mysql routine and directly add
> info, but that involves write permissions and user control on the DB side.
> Syslog-ng provides the standard syslog interface/format.

Very interesting idea.  We are already using syslog-ng on our central
loghosts, and have a MySQL server available.  And like you say, having
IT write to the DB server solves the hesitation that Tim Nelson
expressed, about setting up users and write permissions for all the
clients. No additional protocols, no additional open ports on the
network... I like it.

> I don't have my Linux box up, so I can't send "Reply-To" emails to the list
> with my Windows/Outlook box. Feel free to respond to the Cfengine list with
> any/all/none of this info. I just thought I'd share.
>
> -W

I appreciate it, thanks!
-Ed