Re: matches=0 still triggers action

From: Sven Mueller
Subject: Re: matches=0 still triggers action
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 15:52:45 +0100

David E. Nelson [u] wrote on 02/11/2004 14:57:
Hi All,

I've the following stanza in my cfengine-2.1.10 cfagent.conf file:

solaris.externalnets::

         "lpsched$" # External systems do not run print services
             matches=0
             action=bymatch
             restart "/etc/init.d/lp stop"

and even though 'lpsched' is not running, cfengine still attempts to stop printing services.

That's exactly what you are telling cfengine to do. "restart" is executed whenever the number of processes is either 0 or you sent a sigkill or sigterm to the process(es) via the signal option. Don't use it to stop a process.

What you are trying to do is probably this:

solaris.externalnets::
        "lpsched$"
        matches=0 # warn if a process was found
        signal=kill # it shouldn't be running at all,
                    # so the "hard" kill is OK.
        action=signal # the default, anyway: Send signal
                      # action=warn wouldn't send a signal.
        # if you list the "restart" option here, cfengine would
        # do the following three things on each run:
        # 1) warn if at least one process was found running
        # 2) kill any running process
        # 3) run whichever command you specify in the "restart"
        #    option

Read the doc about the processes section again ;-)

cu,
sven