How scalable is Cfengine, and some other questions?

From: Tobias Svensson
Subject: How scalable is Cfengine, and some other questions?
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:39:09 +0000

Hi,

I'm looking in to Cfengine to see if it fits our solution. However, there are a couple of questions I would like to have answers to.

1) Are there any companies preferebly in Europe that offers support on Cfengine?

2) How scalable is Cfengine? A solution that needs to update more then 10.000 clients with a lot of data in each batch (100 MB over 128 Mbits/s lines). Would Cfengine work here?

3) With 2) in mind, is there some way to coordinate many Cfengine distribution hosts?

4) My idea is that 3) could be solved by connecting the Cfengine hosts to a database that handles the coordination. What’s the best way to connect to a DB from Cfengine or would it be best to go through an own application when connecting to a db?

5) To my understanding, Cfengine uses rsync for the distribution of data. Rsync is pretty expensive when it comes to memory usage. With that in mind, how many batches do you recommend to keep concurrently from a Cfengine PC server (4 GB memory).

6) Is it possible to use an updating scheme where all clients connect to a socket on the Cfengine host and then, when the server decides the update should occur.

7) How stable is the Windows version of Cfengine? Does it work with Windows XP? What parts are incompatible to the core version?

8) How is CRLF problems handled if I update a Windows XP host with files from a Linux Cfengine host?

9) Can Cfengine handle Tivoli DUs (distributin units)?

/Tobias

Lättare att hitta drömresan med MSN Resor http://www.msn.se/resor/