Re: Anyone interesting in building "immune" Linux machines?

From: martin f krafft
Subject: Re: Anyone interesting in building "immune" Linux machines?
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:22:21 +0100

also sprach Tim Nelson <architect@webalive.biz> [2004.11.15.0343 +0100]:
>       Ok.  When you said "Define a configuration plan", did you mean
> "Set up FAI"?

Well, yes and no. The FAI docs go into detail. I think you should
plan first, then set up FAI. Unless you are the admin of
a university cluster that is not really needed ATM (like me) and can
take the approach of "extreme programming".

> >I have not yet arrived either. Unfortunately, FAI does not make it
> >easy to continue using cfengine afterwards (yet).
>
>       What does it do that makes it difficult?

I think it's mainly cfengine, which is too much for me right now.
The scripts are there (mostly), but so far, all I use them for is
editing files. Thus, beyond the actions editfiles, shellcommands,
files, links, and directories, I have not done anything.

Our setup requires 40 identical machines, and it can cope with
downtime of some. Thus, it's easiest to set up FAI and just
reinstall when there are problems.

That said, over at the ETH, FAI is also being used for clusters that
are number-crunching 24/7, which means that reinstallations are
impossible. Here, they use cfengine.

It all depends on your requirements.

>       Just for the record, I like Debian from what I've heard, but
> Redhat is what I know, and what they already had when I started working
> here.

Just for the record: I am not here to preach. To each what they like
best.

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!
spamtraps: madduck.bogus@madduck.net

"sometimes we sit and read other people's interpretations of our
 lyrics and think, 'hey, that's pretty good.' if we liked it, we would
 keep our mouths shut and just accept the credit as if it was what we
 meant all along."
                                                        -- john lennon