Re: Anyone interesting in building "immune" Linux machines?

From: Jamie Wilkinson
Subject: Re: Anyone interesting in building "immune" Linux machines?
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:48:19 +1100

This one time, at band camp, martin f krafft wrote:
>also sprach Jamie Wilkinson <jaq@spacepants.org> [2004.11.15.0056 +0100]:
>> This is so off topic, but:  you'll be surprised how rarely you
>> need to upgrade between os versions when you have a 5 year support
>> contract.
>
>No arguments. If I look back only three years and note the lack of
>any single SSL-capable IMAP client in Woody, though, it does make me
>wonder.
>
>What if I run a cluster with heads and people need a browser. Am
>I to use 1999's Mozilla or Konqueror? Nah, I want Firefox 1.0! Thus:
>Debian testing.

Right, but you were complaining about an alleged lack of quality in the
packages supplied by Red Hat, specifically pertaining to their
upgradability; I posit that upgrading operating system versions on Red Hat
(at least, EL releases) is usually unnecessary, and that actual in-place
upgrades is quite satisfactory (actually cfengine helped a lot with this for
me when upgrading from an RH 8.0 machine through RH9 and finally RHEL ES 3).