Re: Copying files from a server to a centralized area.

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Copying files from a server to a centralized area.
Date: 17 Nov 2004 11:44:57 -0500

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, rgconner@pacbell.net wrote:

> I am trying to send files to a central location, a repository server, I would
>       perfer that it not be an NFS copy, or a scripted copy (ie " scp
>       /etc/somefile repohost:/hosts/$(host)/etc/somefile " ) but rather use
>       the copy facility.
>
> But it seems to only pull files, is there a switch that makes it push files?
>
> My second option was run a special class on the repository that pulled files
>       from everwhere, but I really dont like this, and I had some
>       problems. I tried something like this:

The way I've done this is as follows:

1) cfengine on every client does a file copy locally to
   /etc/repository/MACHINE-NAME

2) the server pulls (via rsync in my case) /etc/repository from every
   machine so you end up with a bunch of subdirectories under
   repository/ on the server, one for each machine.

It has the advantage that none of the clients will ever lock up
waiting for the server if the server is down.  This, in my opinion, is
a big problem with client-side push schemes and I always prefer
signalled or scheduled pulls when possible.

Ted