Am I reinventing the wheel and possibly building a flat?

From: Clif Smith
Subject: Am I reinventing the wheel and possibly building a flat?
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:36:12 -0600

I'm just starting to build out my cfengine environment and am trying
to deal with multiple domains.  So, 1) being that a newly built system
might not know it's domain, 2) I have quite a few subnets and domains,
I'm calling a script in cfagent.conf to grab the domain via DNS.  What
would happen if there was a problem with the network and it can't
reach a DNS server?  What's the better way to handle this?