Re: Use of editfile to support templated configuration files

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: Use of editfile to support templated configuration files
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:32:48 -0600

I was going to suggest you read Eric's take on editfiles first. ;]

http://cfwiki.org/cfwiki/index.php/Editfiles_Considered_Harmful

I do agree with him on most of the editfiles issues, however, so long
as I can guarantee the contents, I'll still use editfiles as I
outlined in:

http://cfwiki.org/cfwiki/index.php/Editfiles_Examples

and

http://cfwiki.org/cfwiki/index.php/Managing_Blocks_of_Code_with_Editfiles

This means that I don't have to use the copy facility, and I can use
editfiles to do the templating and easily combine text from several
locations.

I did like Single Copy Nirvana too, which very closely fits one of
your potential configurations. If you can use copy, I'd strongly
suggest you consider it.

Kudos Eric. ;]

Russell